Strategic Call to Action
Learning and Leading with Equity
“The Fierce Urgency of Now”
Every student and staff member embraces diversity and possesses the skills, knowledge and confidence to positively influence the larger community.
HCPSS ensures academic success and social-emotional well-being for each student in an inclusive and nurturing environment that closes opportunity gaps.
Four Overarching Commitments
The connections we establish by valuing our students, families and colleagues will empower our children to achieve success. All operations will be responsive, accountable, efficient and student‑centered. Schools, families and community partners, working together, will deliver on these four overarching commitments through a focus on student-centered practices, inclusive relationships, and responsive and efficient operations.
Every HCPSS stakeholder feels happy and rewarded in their roles and takes pride in cultivating the learning community. We are establishing a school culture where every child feels appreciated and students have a meaningful voice in decisions. Community‑building experiences are included in classroom routines throughout the school year. We are committed to further building trust with parents, guardians and community members as our active partners in education.
Students and staff thrive in a safe, nurturing and inclusive culture that embraces diversity. We support students’ social‑emotional development and build healthy school relationships through restorative practices. We reflect diversity and inclusion through our curriculum and staff hiring.
An individualized focus supports every person in reaching milestones for success. For students, this means providing high‑quality education that meets individual needs, using assessments that direct instructional planning, and preparing students for meaningful employment. For staff, it means having access to professional learning opportunities that help them become most effective in their roles.
Schools, families and the community are mutually invested in student achievement and well‑being with exemplary and equitable graduation rates and college credit or industry certification opportunities. All students entering kindergarten will be ready to learn and special education services will be consistent across the county. Educators and community members will work together to eradicate bullying and keep all children safe.
Key HCPSS Descriptions
EQUITY is providing the access, opportunities and supports needed to help students, families and staff reach their full potential by removing barriers to success that individuals face. It does not mean equal or giving everyone the same thing.
INCLUSION is making sure all individuals are engaged participants in the learning environment and community. All students, families and staff members feel valued, respected, appreciated and involved. Individuals see their unique identities reflected in all facets of education including staffing, curriculum, instruction and activities.
DIVERSITY is recognizing, accepting and respecting that individuals come from many different life experiences with various frames of reference and perspectives. While diversity values unique perspectives and individual differences, it also values the commonalities we all share. Diversity includes, but is not limited to, race/ethnicity, gender, gender identity, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, language, culture, religion/ beliefs, mental and physical ability, age and national origin.
Students are at the forefront of every strategy and decision. The values, opinions, beliefs and perspectives of individual and groups of students are actively pursued to inform instructional approaches and enhance the school environment. High‑quality learning experiences are grounded in diverse and standards‑based curriculum, assessments that inform instruction and multiple pathways to achievement. Equitable supports ensure every student achieves personalized goals. High‑quality special education services are consistently delivered across the county and reflect the input and collaboration of families.
- Students acquire the skills, attributes and knowledge necessary to become global citizens and obtain meaningful and rewarding employment in a dynamic, international workplace.
- Each and every student receives a high‑quality education through access to individualized instruction, challenges, supports and opportunities.
- Student voice is infused throughout the educational experience to inform teaching and create learning experiences that engage and inspire all students.
- Graduation rates among all high schools and demographic groups are at exemplary levels.
- All students have authentic learning experiences, including equitable opportunities to earn college credit or industry certification, to prepare students for future careers and life.
- High‑quality special education services are delivered in a consistent and collaborative manner.
As a people‑centered organization, HCPSS values every student, employee and community member, and welcomes their diverse and unique perspectives. Students experience a well‑rounded education in a supportive and restorative culture that values connections, relationships and partnerships between home, school and the community. As a child’s first teacher, parents and families play a significant role in education, beginning at birth and continuing throughout high school and beyond.
- Students’ mental health and social‑emotional learning are nurtured through skill development, collaborative dialogue and a restorative culture in our classrooms and communities.
- All students see diversity and inclusion reflected in the curriculum and respect the contributions of all populations.
- Collaboration with families and the greater community prepares all students to be ready to learn.
- Transparent, open and accessible communication helps to ensure that parents, guardians and community members trust in the integrity of the school system and are active and valued partners.
Responsive And Efficient Operations
The HCPSS organizational culture prioritizes the mental and physical well‑being of students, employees and community members. Transparent, effective and fiscally responsible organizational processes ensure that educational resources are equitably allocated and accessible, and support the achievement of all students and staff. Classroom staff and curricula reflect the diverse backgrounds, heritage and perspectives that thrive within our community.
- Operations and practices are responsive, transparent, fiscally responsible and accountable, with students at the heart of all decisions.
- Organizational culture and climate are supportive and nurturing and provide a safe and healthy environment for all students and staff.
- All teachers and staff feel valued, are effective in their roles and have equitable access to additional opportunities through professional learning and leadership development.
- Curriculum is based on standards and best practices, implemented with fidelity, and aligned with meaningful assessments that provide actionable data for instructional planning.
- Highly qualified staff reflect the diversity of the student and community population.