Planning the HCPSS School Attendance Areas
2018 Options to Relieve High School Overcrowding
- Options to Relieve Overcrowding at Centennial and Howard High Schools
- October 18, 2018 – Work Session Report
- October 11, 2018 – Work Session Report
- October 2, 2018 – Work Session Report
- September 20, 2018 – Report/Action
- August 23, 2018 – Report/Action
2018-2019 Adopted School Boundary Adjustments
The Office of School Planning is responsible for projecting student enrollment, planning for infrastructure needs, developing school boundary studies and studying attendance area adjustments, and writing the school system’s annual feasibility study
Every year, the Office of School Planning produces an enrollment projection, compiling updated data including projected housing, construction, historical and projected births, housing resales and student population characteristics. Learn more about the Enrollment Projection Methodology
To ensure school capacities are balanced based on actual and projected growth in Howard County’s and added school infrastructure, the Office of School Planning facilitates the school boundary adjustment process. The Board of Education approves all changes in Attendance Areas.
School boundary adjustments can be considered by the Board of Education based Policy 6010. Considerations include the following
- A new school or addition opening in the district
- School attendance area populations are outside the target utilization
- An existing facility is significantly damaged, deemed unusable or otherwise scheduled to close.
- The program capacity of a school building is altered.
- An unforeseen circumstance necessitates an adjustment to promote efficiency or provide for the welfare of students.
Each year, the Board of Education reviews capital planning options and redistricting scenarios through a feasibility study.
Opportunity for Feedback
Schedule for Attendance Area Committee meetings, regional meetings, and public hearings is to be determined.
Board of Education Approval Process
The Board of Education reviews recommendations and decides whether to approve the school attendance areas.
Planning Polygon Map
2018-2019 Attendance Area Maps
School and Bus Locators
Renée Kamen, AICP
Office of School Planning
10910 Clarksville Pike (Route 108)
Ellicott City, MD 21042
410-313-7184; 410-313-6890 (F)
Feasibility Study Archive
- 2018 Feasibility Study
- 2017 Feasibility Study
- 2016 Feasibility Study
- 2015 Feasibility Study
- 2014 Feasibility Study
The school system considers construction projects carefully as each project goes through a myriad of stages from concept to completion. Parents and community members may follow each of our major construction projects as they move through the stages of the process.