Visit HCPSS’ Staff Help Site for answers to frequently asked questions about retirement.
2023 HCPSS Annual Open Enrollment
The annual Benefits Open Enrollment period will be held October 17th through November 4th, 2022 (Open Enrollment will not be extended).
As a reminder, Open Enrollment is the annual time period in which benefit-eligible retirees can make changes to their benefit elections. Retirees should review their personal information, the benefits being offered by HCPSS, and the plans that they are enrolled in, to determine if they would like to make any changes.
Important – New Prescription Provider for Plan Year 2023
HCPSS will continue to offer the same comprehensive benefits program, with changes to the pharmacy benefit provider across all medical plans effective 01/01/2023. The new pharmacy benefit provider will be CVS Caremark. It is important that all retirees review the Open Enrollment information below as it contains important changes that will occur in Plan Year 2023.
Details regarding Open Enrollment are posted online the HCPSS website:
- Retiree Benefits Page
- 2023 Retiree Open Enrollment Newsletter
- 2023 Retiree Benefits Enrollment Guide
Retiree Open Enrollment Change Form
As in the past years, if you wish to update your personal information, enroll, change, or waive any benefits, please complete a Retiree Open Enrollment Benefits Change Form and email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 4, 2022. You may take photograph of the form and email it to us.
Virtual Benefits Fairs
Retirees will have the opportunity to learn more about their benefit options in 2023 by attending a Virtual Benefits Fair. Carrier representatives and HCPSS Benefits Office staff will be available to virtually meet and provide information and answer any benefit questions. Please note that the chat rooms are not confidential one on one sessions, so please be mindful of disclosing any personal information.
- Wednesday, October 19, 2022 / Time: 10:30 am – 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm
- Thursday, October 27, 2022 / Time: 10:30 am – 12:00pm and 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm
- Tuesday, November 1, 2022 / Time: 10:30 am -12:00pm and 1:00pm to 4:30 pm
The Virtual Benefits Fairs will be accessible by visiting: https://www.employeewellnesshub.com/hcpss/
* PLEASE NOTE: * The chat rooms are accessible to all HCPSS active employees, retirees and their families. These are not confidential one on one sessions, so please be mindful of disclosing any personal information.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or call the Benefits Help Desk at 410-313-7333 Option 1.
Annual Medical Costs
2023 Medical, Dental, and Vision Plan Costs
- 2023 Retiree Monthly Premium Costs – On or Before 7/1/2010
- 2023 Retiree Monthly Premium Costs – On or After 7/2/2010
- 2023 Retiree Monthly Premium Costs – Dental & Vision Insurance
2022 Medical, Dental, and Vision Plan Costs
- 2022 Retiree Monthly Premium Costs – On or Before 7/1/2010
- 2022 Retiree Monthly Premium Costs – On or After 7/2/2010
- 2022 Retiree Monthly Premium Costs – Dental & Vision Insurance
Medical and Prescription Plans
CareFirst BlueChoice HMO Open Access
With CareFirst BlueChoice HMO Open Access, you can select your doctor from a regional network of physicians, specialists and hospitals located throughout Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia. CareFirst aims to keep you healthy by emphasizing prevention, early detection and early treatment.
- 2023 BlueChoice HMO Open Access – Your Health Benefits Booklet
- 2023 CareFirst BlueChoice HMO Open Access Benefits Summary
- 2023 CareFirst BlueChoice HMO Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC)
- 2022 BlueChoice HMO Open Access – Your Health Benefits Booklet
- 2022 CareFirst BlueChoice HMO Open Access Benefits Summary
- 2022 CareFirst BlueChoice HMO Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC)
- CareFirst Video Visit
- Affordable Care Act (ACA) Summary of Preventive Services
- CareFirst HMO – Away from Home Care
- CareFirst Blue Vision
- Blue365 – Wellness Discount
- Regional Vaccine Network
Open Access Aetna Select HMO
There’s no requirement to select a PCP, or obtain referrals for specialty care. The network of medical providers and facilities is nationwide, offering a full range of primary care doctors and specialists. When you visit a network provider, you will pay a flat copay for your care. Network providers will handle all of the claims paperwork for you. In order to receive benefits from this plan, you must see network providers.
- 2023 Open Access Aetna Select HMO Benefits Summary
- 2023 Open Access Aetna Select HMO – Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC)
- 2022 Open Access Aetna Select HMO Benefits Summary
- 2022 Open Access Aetna Select HMO – Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC)
Aetna Open Choice PPO
You can receive care within the network and pay less for your care. Or, you can choose to receive care outside the network and still receive benefits, but at a higher cost. There are no referral requirements.
Aetna’s nationwide Open Choice PPO network includes 934,260 health care providers; 159,100 of whom are Primary Care Providers (PCPs). This makes it easy to find a network doctor or a hospital, whether you are at home, work or traveling.
- 2023 Aetna Open Choice PPO Benefits Summary
- 2023 Aetna Open Choice PPO – Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC)
- 2022 Aetna Open Choice PPO Benefits Summary
- 2022 Aetna Open Choice PPO – Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC)
Other Member Resources (Open Access Aetna Select HMO and Open Choice PPO)
- ACA Preventive Care
- Informed Health Line
- Aetna Travel
- Aetna Health App
- Aetna Maternity Program
- Blood Pressure and Cholesterol
- Breast Cancer Support Center
- Men’s Health Flyer
- Aetna Discount Program
- Aetna website
New Prescription Plan – CVS Caremark will be the new prescription provider effective 01/01/2023. Prescription coverage with Express Scripts will end 12/31/2022.
Starting January 1, 2023, CVS Caremark will be managing your prescription benefits on behalf of Howard County Public School System. CVS Caremark offers affordable medication pricing, thousands of network pharmacy choices (including home delivery) and personalized support for you and your family. If you are enrolling in the Medical Plan, you will be automatically enrolled in the Pharmacy Plan administered by CVS Caremark. We will have a call center available for you and your family to address any questions related to your pharmacy needs. A separate communication will be provided with this phone line. To help with the transition of our pharmacy plan, you will be given a chance to attend one on one meetings with CVS Caremark representatives to help answer your questions after this open enrollment period. You will receive new ID cards and a welcome kit from CVS Caremark to help you navigate your new pharmacy plan.
- CVS Caremark Website Member Flyer
- CVS Caremark Performance Drug List Standard Control
- CVS Caremark Advanced Control Specialty Formulary
- CVS Caremark Mail Order Rx Delivery Member Flyer
- CVS Caremark Mobile App Member Flyer
- CVS Caremark Specialty Member Flyer
- CVS Caremark National Network Participating Pharmacy List
- PrudentRx Member Flyer
- The PrudentRx Copay Program- Member FAQs
Express Scripts Pharmacy (Prescription coverage with Express Scripts will end 12/31/2022)
Included in employee benefits packages, express scripts handles services related to prescriptions. They are supported by a national network of over 50,000 pharmacies and a 24-hour, 365-day-a-year Patient Care Contact Center. Home delivery is available for employee medications from express.
On or after 01/01/2020, please call Express Scripts member services at (877) 866-5859 to verify if your pharmacy will allow a 90-day fill, or for assistance in locating a SMART90 participating pharmacy. You may also log in or register at www.Express-Scripts.com/90day to locate SMART90 participating pharmacies in your area.
- 2022 Express Scripts National Preferred Formulary
- Express Scripts SMART90 Drug List (Drug Class Level)
- Express Scripts SMART90 Drug List
- Express Scripts SMART90 FAQs
- Drug Quantity Management Member Flyer
- Drug Quantity Management – Drug List
- Prior Authorization FAQs
- Step Therapy FAQs
- Vaccine Program
- 2020 National Preferred Formulary Exclusion List Changes
- Pharmacy Web Site
Cigna PPO (Total Plan)
The Cigna PPO has a national network of dentists with no need to select a primary care dentists. Employees will have the freedom to visit any licensed dentist you wish, but selecting an “in-network” Cigna PPO provider will result in the lowest out-of-pocket costs to the employee.
- Cigna Dental PPO Benefits Summary
- How to find a Dentist
- Orthodontics in Progress Flyer
- Transition of Care FAQ Flyer
- Dental Only MyCigna Mobile App
- Information Regarding Healthy Rewards
Aetna DMO is a dental maintenance organization (DMO). Aetna DMO offers a list of participating dentists for your care. It is important that you review your choices of Primary Care Dentist (PCD) in your area to make sure that this is the right plan for your dental needs. A PCD selection will not be mandatory during enrollment process. However, in order to use your DMO benefits a PCD is required. Once you enroll, Aetna will send you a “Welcome Kit” in the mail The Welcome Kit will include a reminder of the mandatory PCD election and a sample ID card. Once the Welcome Kit is received, employees should call the Aetna Customer Service line at 877-238-6200 Monday through Friday 8:00am to 6:00pm or login to the member website at https://www.aetnaresource.com/p/HCPSS-Open-Enrollment-2023 to select your PCD and/or for additional assistance. Once a PCD is elected from the Aetna network, employees can set-up a dentist appointment to see their provider. There is no deductible to meet, no annual dollar maximums, and no claim forms for you to file.
Your selection of PCD must be made prior to the 15th of the month, in order to take effect the first of the next month.
- Aetna DMO Dental Benefits Summary
- Aetna Dental DMO – Pre-enrollment Member Flyer
- Aetna Dental Discounts
Vision Service Plan (VSP)
- Vision Service Plan Benefits Summary
- VSP.com at Your Fingertips
- Combat Digital Eye Strain
- VSP TruHearing
- VSP Benefits Web Site – view your vision benefit information, register as a member.
- 1-800-877-7195 – Member Benefit Services.
- The Ultimate Provider Playlist
- Eyeconic – Browse with Benefits
Maryland State Pension
Basic Life and Accidential Death and Dismemberment (AD & D)
HCPSS offers eligible employees life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance at not cost to the employees. The amount of life insurance is equal to the employees’ current annual salary.
Life, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance Information
- Notice of Rights Under the Women’s Health and Cancer Rights Act
- Newborns and Mothers Health Protection Act Statement of Protection
- HCPSS COBRA General Right Notice
- HCPSS Privacy Rights
- HIPAA Notice of Special Enrollment Rights
To access tax documentation & update personal information login via the Former Employee and Retiree Workday Portal →
For login assistance, review these instructions.