Register your Child for School
Step 1 – Assess Eligibility and Needs
Students who have never attended a HCPSS school must be registered by their custodial parent (biological, adoptive, legal guardian).
New Kindergarten Students
Children must be 5 years old by September 1 in order to enroll in kindergarten. Every child who is 5 years old by September 1 must be enrolled in a kindergarten program this fall or have an approved waiver.
New Prekindergarten Students
HCPSS offers a half-day prekindergarten program. Students must be four years old by September 1 to be considered for enrollment.
Unlike enrollment for K-12, parents must apply for admission to prekindergarten. Learn more →
Seeking Early Admission?
Current HCPSS enrolled students moving between schools within the system
- Moving over the summer? Find and contact your child’s upcoming school to begin the transfer process. Verify your child’s upcoming school →
- Moving during the school year? Contact your child’s current school and they will assist you with the transfer process.
Current HCPSS prekindergarten students do not need to be re-registered for kindergarten because they are already enrolled as an HCPSS student.
Students who need ESOL services or parents who need language support should contact an International Student Registration Call Center.
Step 2 – Find Your School
Parents must live in the attendance area of the school where they plan to enroll their student. Use our School Locator tool to find and verify your school and attendance area.
Step 3 – Gather Documentation
Having all your documentation prepared in advance of registration will keep the process moving quickly.
Student Identification Documentation
- Student’s evidence of birth (birth certificate, passport/visa, physician’s certificate, baptismal or church certification, hospital certificate, parent/s affidavit or birth registration.)
- Proof of parental relationship, custody, or guardianship. If applicable, bring legal proof of custody (court order).
- Any additional paperwork that may be necessary due to special living arrangements or circumstances.
- Student’s most recent grade report, transcript, report card from last school attended at time of withdrawal.
- Documentation of Special Education (IEP), 504, Psychological Report, or related services.
Parent Identification Documentation
- Parent picture ID: driver’s license, passport, MVA identification or other legal form of photographic identification.
- Signed original, current complete lease or complete deed with your address, valid dates, signatures.
- Current utility bill with name and address (non-cellular telephone, gas and electric, cable bill issued in the last 45 days.)
- Student’s current proof of immunizations signed by physician. Learn more about the immunizations required for enrollment →
Students who have never attended a Howard County public school have certain health documents to submit with their enrollment paperwork. Learn more about these forms and find additional forms for diabetic students, students with allergies, and student medications.
Step 4 – Begin Registration Process
After clicking on the green Begin Registration Process button above, please be sure to select the correct school year in the registration portal.
Online Registration is now open to enroll new HCPSS K-12 students for the 2020-2021 (current) and 2021-2022 (next) school years.
If you would like to register your child , please complete the online registration by clicking the green “Begin Online Registration” button above. While completing the online registration form, you can also upload the required documents. Your child’s school will contact you to schedule a virtual meeting (e.g., online Google Meet) to complete the registration process. During this virtual meeting, you will be asked to verify parental relationship and submit any additional required documentation.
Parents/guardians of children who will be five as of September 1, 2021, must enroll their children in kindergarten for the 2021-2022 school year. Learn more about how to begin the enrollment process.
If you would like to register for kindergarten for the current 2020-2021 school year, please complete the online registration by selecting the green “Begin Online Registration” button to the left. While completing the online registration form, you can also upload the required documents. Your child’s school will contact you to schedule a virtual meeting to complete the registration process. During this virtual meeting, you will be asked to verify parental relationship and submit any additional required documentation.
Note: Parents/guardians without access to a computer should contact their child’s school for assistance in completing the registration form.
The HCPSS Pre-K program is a high-quality, half-day prekindergarten program. Students must be four years old by September 1, 2021, to be considered for enrollment in fall 2021. See specifics on Pre-K Program.
Step 5 – Finalize Registration and Meet Your New School
After beginning the registration process online, your child’s school will contact you to schedule a virtual meeting to complete the registration process.
This final step confirms area residency, guardianship of the child and ensures that the registration process is completed correctly.
Additional Enrollment Questions
See Policy 9000, Student Residency, Eligibility, Enrollment and Assignment
For additional information or questions, please contact your anticipated school of enrollment.