skip to main content

Register your Child for School

Step 1 – Assess Eligibility and Needs

New Students

Students who have never attended a HCPSS school must be registered by their custodial parent (biological, adoptive, legal guardian).

New Kindergarten Students

Children must be 5 years old by September 1 in order to enroll in kindergarten. Every child who is 5 years old by September 1 must be enrolled in a kindergarten program this fall or have an approved waiver.

More information about registering a Kindergarten student →

New Pre-Kindergarten Students

HCPSS offers a half-day prekindergarten program. Students must be four years old by September 1 to be considered for enrollment.

Unlike enrollment for K-12, parents must apply for admission to pre-kindergarten. Learn more →

Seeking Early Admission?

Find out more and see if your child qualifies →

Current Students

Current HCPSS enrolled students moving between schools within the system

Current HCPSS pre-kindergarten students do not need to be re-registered for kindergarten because they are already enrolled as an HCPSS student.

Students who need ESOL services or parents who need language support should contact an International Student Registration Call Center.

Call centers: Español | 中文 | 한국어 | Chin

Step 2 – Find Your School

Parents must live in the attendance area of the school where they plan to enroll their student. Use our School Locator tool to find and verify your school and attendance area.

Step 3 – Gather Documentation

Having all your documentation prepared in advance of registration will keep the process moving quickly.

Student Identification Documentation

  • Student’s evidence of birth (birth certificate, passport/visa, physician’s certificate, baptismal or church certification, hospital certificate, parent/s affidavit or birth registration.)
  • Proof of parental relationship, custody, or guardianship. If applicable, bring legal proof of custody (court order).
  • Any additional paperwork that may be necessary due to special living arrangements or circumstances.

Academic Documentation

  • Student’s most recent grade report, transcript, report card from last school attended at time of withdrawal.
  • Documentation of Special Education (IEP), 504, Psychological Report, or related services.

Parent Identification Documentation

  • Parent picture ID: driver’s license, passport, MVA identification or other legal form of photographic identification.
  • Signed original, current lease or deed with your address, valid dates, signatures.
  • Current utility bill with name and address (non-cellular telephone, gas and electric, cable bill issued in the last 45 days.)

Health Documentation

Students who have never attended a Howard County public school have certain health documents to submit with their enrollment paperwork. Learn more about these forms and find additional forms for diabetic students, students with allergies, and student medications.

Step 4 – Begin Registration Process

Begin Online Registration

Online Registration is now open to enroll new HCPSS K-12 students for the 2019-2020 and the 2020-2021 school year.

Specifics on 2020-2021 Kindergarten Registration

After gathering the required documents, parents/guardians can begin the registration process online and upload the documents required to enroll your child.

Note: Parents/guardians without access to a computer may complete the entire registration process at your child’s school. Please complete the registration form and proceed to the next step. Registration Form (PDF)

Step 5 – Finalize Registration and Meet Your New School

After beginning the registration process online or upon completing the paper-based registration form, parents/guardians will need to contact their child’s new school and schedule a registration appointment.

This final step confirms area residency, guardianship of the child and ensures that the registration process is completed correctly.

Additional Enrollment Questions

Frequently Asked Questions about Enrollment and Registration

See Policy 9000, Student Residency, Eligibility, Enrollment and Assignment

For additional information or questions, please contact your anticipated school of enrollment.