School Bus Driver Vacancies
Independent school bus contractors provide student transportation for the Howard County Public School System. Full-time, part-time and substitute positions are available.
Interested in becoming a bus driver?
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have a clean driving record
- Have a clean criminal background
View a list of current bus contractors and call their office for an application.
To be a certified school bus driver, you are required to:
- Possess a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) with a “P” and “S” (passenger and school bus) endorsement. The contractor will provide the necessary instruction to acquire this license and the necessary endorsements.
- Pass a physical and drug screening examination.
- Provide a driving record that shows two or less current points. The driver will be able to acquire this from the MVA.
- Submit to a criminal background check that results in no disqualifying convictions or outstanding criminal charges.
- Complete an 18-hour pre-service training program for certification in Howard County that is taught by an approved MSDE instructor authorized by the Office of Student Transportation.
- Wages and number of hours worked vary from contractor to contractor.
For questions regarding an application, please contact the Office of Student Transportation at 410-313-6732 or view the current bus contractor list for direct phone numbers.