School Bus Driver Vacancies
HCPSS Commits to Incentive Pay for All Bus Drivers, Attendants and Contractors
11/19/21 – The Howard County Board of Education took action to address the bus driver shortage that has impacted HCPSS since the beginning of the school year. The Board approved amendments to transportation contracts to provide a financial incentive for school bus drivers and attendants.
Independent school bus contractors provide student transportation for the Howard County Public School System.
Interested in becoming a bus driver?
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have a clean driving record
- Have a clean criminal background
- Be willing to work 180 days a year, and be off during the summer months (however, possible summer work is available)
View a list of current bus contractors and call their office for an application.
To be a certified school bus driver, you are required to:
- Possess a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) with a “P” and “S” (passenger and school bus) endorsement. The HCPSS provides the behind-the-wheel instruction to acquire this license and the necessary endorsements.
- Pass a physical and drug screening examination.
- Provide a driving record that shows two or less current points. The driver will be able to acquire this from the MVA.
- Submit to a criminal background check that results in no disqualifying convictions or outstanding criminal charges.
- Complete an 18-hour pre-service training program for certification in Howard County provided by the HCPSS Pupil Transportation Office.
- Wages and number of hours worked vary from contractor to contractor.
For questions regarding an application, please contact the Pupil Transportation Office at 410-313-6732 or view the current bus contractor list for direct phone numbers.