Supporting the Mission and Goals of HCPSS through Leadership
The mission of the Howard County Board of Education (BOE) is to provide leadership for excellence in teaching and learning by fostering a climate for deliberative change through policy and community engagement.
Participate in a Meeting
Contact the Board
Board meetings may be viewed live or on-demand online, and during and after each meeting on Howard County Comcast channel 95 or Verizon channel 42. Upcoming Public Hearings can be found online.
Individuals may request a sign language interpreter for any meeting of the Board of Education by contacting Colleen Markiewicz, interpreter scheduler, at 410-313-7046. A two-week advance notice is preferred.
Board meeting documents are available to the public for viewing on BoardDocs three days prior to the meeting. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Board Office.
Beginning with the March 11, 2021, meeting, the Howard County Board of Education will transition to a hybrid board meeting format, with some Board members and staff participating in person while others continue participating remotely. Learn More →
Upcoming Board of Education Meetings:
- Thursday, April 15, 4 & 7 p.m. – Hybrid Meeting
- Thursday, April 29, 4 & 7 p.m. – Hybrid Meeting
- Tuesday, May 11, 4 & 7 p.m. – Hybrid Meeting
Full Board of Education Schedule
Approved Board schedules can be found in the links below.
- April 2021 Meeting Schedule
- May 2021 Meeting Schedule
- April-June 2021 Quarterly Agenda
- 2020-2021 Board of Education Approved Meeting Schedule
Board of Education HCPSS Reopening Documents
The Board of Education holds discussions and work sessions on the HCPSS reopening plan. Links to archived meeting videos and accompanying documents can be found online. Learn More →
Board of Education Budget Schedule
The Board of Education holds work sessions and public hearings to gather feedback on and revise the Superintendent’s proposed budget. View Schedule and Information →
- 2021 Approved Meeting Minutes
- 2020 Approved Meeting Minutes
- 2019 Approved Meeting Minutes
- 2018 Approved Meeting Minutes
- 2017 Approved Meeting Minutes
School Cluster Assignments
- Community Advisory Council (CAC)
- Board of Education Committee Assignments
- Board of Education Audit Committee
- Board of Education Legislative Committee
- Board of Education Policy Committee
- Operating Budget Review Committee
Policies and Procedures
The Board of Education sets local education policy consistent with state and federal laws governing public education.
Friends of Education Award
The Friends of Education Award recognizes an individual, business, or organization for an innovative or unique contribution that directly supports the school system’s mission of excellence in teaching and learning