Extended School Year —
Social Opportunities and Relationships (SOAR) Middle School
- Students currently in 5th – 8th grade
- Students whose social interactions and communication skills are identified as the primary area of qualification for ESY
- Students who are receiving instruction in the essential curriculum and are participating in the general education classes with limited pull-out instruction
- Students whose IEP goals emphasize socialization with non-disabled peers
NOTE: While the primary focus of SOAR is instruction in social/pragmatic IEP goals/objectives, students can be instructed on reading, writing and/ or math goals defined from the team. When the IEP team identifies critical life skills/needs in academic and social/pragmatic areas, the IEP team also determines the best program to implement the identified goals/objectives.
- Teaching and reinforcing social skills
- Social skills lessons and reinforcing activities with typical peers
- Related services if ESY services are recommended by the IEP team
- Special education transportation is required unless Parent/Guardian will Self-Transport
- Note: Students with changes to the pick-up and drop-off address after May 14, 2021, cannot be guaranteed service for the beginning of the program.
Snack Provided By
Sheila Collector, ESY Program Lead, 410-313-6837