View Current Openings and Apply Now
We continuously recruit for teaching and related professional positions throughout the year in order to build a talent pool of potential candidates and encourage you to submit an application. When a position becomes available, we review applications, credentials and other pertinent details at that time. Due to the high volume of applications in some curricular areas, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted by a recruiter.
We are especially interested in recruiting teachers and related professional positions in the critical shortage areas as well as teacher candidates who are career changers and/or retirees from the military or other fields.
If you have a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in one of these areas and have experience teaching or working with school-age children but have not yet earned a teaching certification, contact us to learn more about opportunities to start your career in education now.
Application Process for Teachers and Related Service Providers
- Interested candidates may visit Recruiting Events, review the recruitment schedule, and/or sign up for a Preliminary Interview.
- Based upon Preliminary Interview results, a completed online employment application, and school system needs, candidates may be referred to a Curriculum Interview. All candidates must be referred by the Office of Human Resources. Curriculum staff will not consider candidates who have not been referred by the Office of Human Resources.
- Candidates may be referred to a Site-Based Interview based upon Curriculum Interview results, a completed online employment application, school system needs, and three professional references. Site-Based Interviews are conducted by principals and/or their designee(s).
- All candidates must be referred by the Office of Human Resources for Site-Based Interviews. Principals will not consider candidates who have not been referred by the Office of Human Resources.
- All offers of employment will be made through the Office of Human Resources.
- If you received a degree or attended school outside of the U.S. or U.S. Territories, your credentials must be evaluated by an independent agency. View the list of approved agencies that evaluate foreign credentials.
Critical Shortage Areas
- Career Research and Development
- Computer Science
- Engineering and Technology Education
- Family and Consumer Sciences
- Occupational Therapist
- Physical Education
- Physical Therapist
- Reading Specialist
- School Library Media
- School Psychologist
- Special Education
- Speech Language Pathologist
- Teachers of the Blind and Visually Impaired
- Teachers of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- World Languages
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit our Staff Help site to get answers to frequently asked questions about employment at HCPSS.
Salaries – Howard County Education Association (HCEA)
- Master Agreement between the BOE of Howard County and the HCEA (July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2020)
- HCEA Salary Scales