District and School Administrators
The Howard County Public School System is committed to recruiting highly qualified and dynamic candidates for all certificated central office leadership roles and school-based administrator positions. To review our open vacancies and applicant pools, please click the Apply Now button at the top of the page. Questions may be directed to Sandy Saval, Human Resources Business Partner at email@example.com.
The Application Process
Central office positions are posted as vacancies are identified to fill and are typically open for approximately two to four weeks. School-based administrator applicant pools open annually each fall and close by late spring with screening interviews occurring in the winter and early spring.
Interested applicants should review the information below to ensure that you may submit a complete application for any position for which you wish to be considered.
A completed application submission includes:
- A complete application form that includes all current and prior employment in education.
- An updated resume
- An updated cover letter that addresses the specific requirements identified in the job announcement
- External Applicants: All educator certification documents (Maryland or out-of-state certificates, transcripts, and test scores).
- Internal Applicants: A copy of your MSDE certificate. If you have just completed your certification requirements for your Administrator I or II endorsement, please be sure you have submitted the appropriate transcripts or test scores to your HCPSS certification specialist.
- Out-of-state applicants are strongly encouraged to begin the application process for educator certification with the Maryland State Department of Education in addition to uploading all required certification materials to your HCPSS employment application.
- Maryland applicants to principal positions who are not currently in a principal position must have a qualifying School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA) score. Please upload your Praxis score report to your application materials.
The online application requires that you enter at least three professional references and will automatically send electronic reference surveys to those individuals upon submission of your application. The specific survey generated is unique to the type of position to which you apply (ie: Principal, Assistant Principal, Central Office Professional, etc.). Completed reference surveys are required from at least three of your current and most recent supervisors should a recommendation for hire be made. You are encouraged to monitor the status of your reference surveys by periodically navigating back to this section of the online application. You will be able to see the status of each survey which will show as Completed or Pending.
The Screening and Interview Process
- The Office of Human Resources will review all applications submitted through the identified dates to identify those that meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcements.
- You will receive an email notifying you whether you have met the minimum qualifications typically within two weeks of the identified date.
- Applications submitted after the identified date may be reviewed based on the needs of the school system.
- Those applications that meet the minimum qualifications are referred to the interview selection committee for further evaluation and consideration for an invitation to interview.
- Interviews will be limited to those applicants who, in addition to meeting the basic requirements, have the education and experiences which most closely match the position qualifications and the needs of the school system.
- The first-round interview is a structured panel interview with a group of HCPSS stakeholders from across divisions within our school system. The structure ensures that all candidates have an equal opportunity to present their qualifications.
Resources for Applicants
We invite you to review the resources below to assist you in preparing your application. Please check back for updated resources and information in the early fall specific to principal and assistant principal recruitment.
- HCPSS Strategic Call to Action
- Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
- Principal Resume Template/Sample
- Assistant Principal Resume Template
The Howard County Public School System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please call 410-313-5694 if special accommodations are required.