Talking to Children About Traumatic Events
As always, if parents/guardians have any specific concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact your child’s teacher, school counselor or any member of the administrative team.
The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) provides the following tips to parents and educators to talk with children about school violence.
- Reassure children that they are safe
- Make time to talk
- Keep your explanations developmentally appropriate
- Review safety procedures
- Observe children’s emotional state
- Limit television (and social media) viewing of these events
- Maintain a normal routine