Athletics – Weather-Related Procedures
School Closing Due To Inclement Weather
If schools are closed for the day or dismissed early due to inclement weather, all games, events and practices will be canceled.
A decision to play or cancel due to rain will be made by the school. Contact the school directly.
Snow/Ice – Afternoon
If snow or ice arrives before 2 p.m., a decision to play or cancel will be made by the Central Office based on weather reports from our Transportation Department. Your school will be notified as soon as possible.
Snow/Ice – Evening
If snow or ice arrives in the late afternoon or evening, the Administrator on duty will make the final decision.
- If a snow emergency plan goes into effect prior to the game or practice, it will be canceled.
- If a snow emergency plan goes into effect after the start of a game or practice, the event may be completed.
Snow/Ice – Saturday/Non-School Day
If a snow emergency plan is in effect at 7 a.m. on Saturday or on a day schools are scheduled to be closed, all games, events and practices scheduled for a Howard County school will be postponed until the 11 a.m. recorded announcement.
- If a snow emergency plan goes into effect before the practice or game, the game will be canceled.
- Please use common sense before sending participants and spectators home.
- If a snow emergency plan goes into effect after the start of the game or practice, it may be completed.
- If a team or student group is involved in an event outside of Howard County:
- They may depart for the event after the emergency plan is lifted.
- They may not travel through a county that has a snow emergency plan in effect.
- When a team is on an overnight trip, they may compete unless travel is involved and a snow emergency is in effect at their location.
If a regional or state event is involved, a special decision will be made by our Superintendent in conjunction with the MPSSAA