Distributing Community Information through the School System
As a service to the community, our students and parents/guardians, HCPSS allows non-profit organizations and groups to disseminate notices and information through the school system.
All requests from community organizations, groups or agencies to disseminate information in the form of electronic announcements are processed through the HCPSS Communications Office. Announcements may not be disseminated via schools without prior approval from the Communications Office.
HCPSS retains the right to deny the dissemination of materials and announcements if the content could reasonably be predicted to cause substantial disruption. Students will not be pressured or coerced to take or respond to any type of notice.
The Howard County Board of Education has approved the following organizations and groups to disseminate announcements or materials:
- Tax-supported agencies of the federal, state and local government.
- Non-profit organizations as documented by a letter from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. (Note: If an organization’s IRS letter is not on file with the Communications Office, it must be submitted along with the announcement information.)
- Groups distributing materials as part of approved fundraising activities in HCPSS.
- Local, state and national Parent Teacher Associations (PTA) or Parent Teacher Organizations (PTO), and recognized booster clubs affiliated with any HCPSS school.
Procedures for Submitting Information
PTAs, PTOs and Booster Clubs
Local, state and national PTAs or PTOs, and recognized booster clubs affiliated with any HCPSS school must submit announcements, flyers or other materials to the local school administration for approval.
Other Approved Organizations
Other Approved organizations must submit a copy of announcements to the HCPSS Communications Office for approval. In alignment with Policy 10010 – Distribution and Display of Materials and Announcements, announcements will only be displayed electronically on the HCPSS Community News and Programs site. Printed materials will not be distributed in schools or offices..
- All electronic announcements will be posted on Community News and Programs. Organizations may submit announcements by choosing “Add your program” (from the navigation at the top of the web page). A link to this site is included in HCPSS News, which is issued weekly to all parents/guardians, and may be included in school newsletters. Announcements are limited to:
- Name and brief description of the event or activity
- Date, time and location
- Intended ages, if applicable
- Name of the sponsoring organization
- Contact phone number or email address
- Website and/or link to information online, if applicable
Limited Printed Materials
Though printed materials from community organizations, groups and agencies are not distributed, parents/guardians may receive printed communications from the school system, local school, school PTA/PTSA and Booster Clubs, and important information from local, state and federal government agencies.
Parents or guardians who exercise this option will still receive communications from the school system, local school, school PTA/PTSA and Booster Clubs, and important information from local, state and federal government agencies. They will NOT receive information from any other community organization, group or agency.
Contact us with any additional questionsHCPSS Communications Office
10910 Clarksville Pike
Ellicott City, MD 21042