We are currently screening applications to create a pool of qualified applicants for current and upcoming vacancies throughout the county. Orientations are scheduled routinely for individuals with complete applications.
Before beginning your application you must have the following information and documentation:
- Copy of official college transcript(s).
- List of your last 10 years of work experience including name and address of company, supervisors, telephone numbers and email addresses. You must also list any periods of unemployment in the last 10 years.
- Name and valid email addresses for your current or most recent supervisor and at least two other current or past supervisors. References from co-workers and family members will not be accepted. Three professional references are required of all external candidates. One professional reference is required of all internal candidates. At least one reference must come from your most recent supervisor. References are obtained electronically and sent to the email address you provide on your application.
- When you have gathered all of this information please fill out an application.
Employment Background Checks are required for all employees.
Substitute Teacher Pay Rates
- Non-degree (minimum 60 credits) – $80.00
- Degree (BA or higher) – $90.00
- Retired (verification required) – $108.00
Long Term Rate (Consecutive days for the same teacher starting on day 11 and beyond)
- Non-degree – $108.00
- Degree – $118.00
- Retired Teacher – $118.00
Beginning August 17, 2015 the following changes have been made to long-term substitute teacher pay:
- There are two rates of pay for long term substitutes instead of three. The higher rate of pay will begin on the 11th consecutive day instead of the 16th consecutive day.
- Long term substitutes will no longer receive payment for days they do not work (no earned paid days off after 20 consecutive days in the same assignment).
- Long term substitutes who miss a day after the 11th consecutive day will remain at the long-term rate when they return the following day.
Other Temporary Positions
- Substitute Paraeducator – $70.00 per day
- Substitute Clerical – $11.00/hr
- Lunch/Recess Monitor – $10.50/hr
- Temporary Custodial – $9.00/hr
- Substitute Nurse – $126.00 per day
- Home and Hospital – $21.28 /hr
Email Access for Substitute Teachers and all Temporary Employees
All substitute and temporary employees will have a HCPSS email account.
To access your email account, please go to: https://staff.hcpss.org and click on “Email” at the top of the page. Your User Name is the first letter of your first name along with your full last name. Your Password is your employee number followed by the last 4 digits of your social security number. You will be prompted to create a new password the first time you login.
If you need assistance with email access, please contact the Technology Help Desk at: 410-313-7004.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the qualifications to be a substitute teacher?
Candidates are selected for hire based on the following criteria:
- Education, experience, subject area of expertise
- Communication skills
- Minimum of three professional references, including one from the current or most recent supervisor. References from friends, co-workers, or other personal references are not acceptable
- Minimum of 60 college credits
- Background Check (conducted after offer is made and performed by company designated by HCPSS)
Priority processing will be extended to those applicants who are K-12 certified teachers or hold a bachelor’s degree in education. Other applicants will be considered on an as-needed basis. Please include your certification information in your application.
Can I upload a copy of an unofficial transcript?
No, you must upload a copy of an Official Transcript
Can I send a paper copy or email attachments of my transcript or other attachments?
No, our application process is paperless. All application attachments and education credentials must be uploaded so they will be available for all reviewers of your application.
What if I am having trouble uploading attachments or I don’t have a scanner?
Scanners are available at most public libraries or office supply stores.
How do I know if my application is complete?
Your application is complete when:
- You have submitted a complete online application where you have selected “Substitute Teacher” under “Positions Desired” on page 5 of the application.
- You have provided 10 years of work experience without any gaps, including dates of unemployment.
- You have uploaded a copy of an Official College Transcript showing a minimum of 60 college credits.
- Three acceptable references have been received. You can log into your AppliTrack application to see if your references have been returned. You can also “Resend” the reference link, or modify your references if necessary.
We will not review your application until all of the above criteria have been met. Submitting an online application does not mean it is complete.
My application is submitted and is now complete. When will I hear from HCPSS?
We make every effort to frequently check applications for completeness and qualifications.If your application is selected, you will receive an email or phone call to schedule an orientation and on-boarding date.
What if my application is not selected?
If your application is not selected, most likely it is because there are other more qualified candidates to be processed first. Your application will remain active and you may be contacted later in the school year based on the needs of the school system.
How many subs are selected?
We hire approximately 50 to 60 subs per month between August and March.
What happens if I am selected as a sub?
You will receive an email or phone call if your application is selected. We will schedule you for a Substitute Teacher Orientation, send you on-boarding documents and instructions on obtaining your background check. You must have our authorization to be fingerprinted. Orientations are approximately three hours in length and scheduled approximately twice a month.
Do I have to be fingerprinted even if I have been fingerprinted for another agency?
Yes, all new employees must be fingerprinted. The fee for fingerprinting is $20. You are also responsible for the cost of the Background check which is $32.75 which is collected at the orientation.
When will I be able to begin substituting?
Newly hired substitute teachers will be able to search for and accept new jobs approximately 2-3 days after being hired.
How often will I have to substitute to remain active?
You are expected to accept jobs regularly in order to continue as a substitute teacher.
Am I eligible for benefits as a substitute teacher?
No, substitute teachers are temporary employees and not eligible for benefits.