To help remove technology barriers and advance equitable student learning outcomes, HCPSS has moved to a 1:1 student-to-device ratio. All students have or will be provided with a Chromebook.
Students and families should review information on:
In addition, students enrolled in the Digital Education Center should review:
Students will need access to a device. Students enrolled in the Digital Education Center will need reliable internet connectivity.
Identifying Student Technology Device Needs
Please note, information regarding device distribution for students new to the Howard County Public School System for the 2021-2022 school year will be communicated prior to the start of the school year. Over the summer, devices will only be distributed to HCPSS students who do not already have an assigned device and who are participating in an HCPSS summer program.
Parents/guardians of newly enrolled students or students who have not yet been assigned a Chromebook in grades 2-12 are eligible to receive a device. Your student’s school will assign a Chromebook for their use at the beginning of the school year.
Any family in need of, and without access to the internet should notify the school system using the directions below. HCPSS is working with the Bright Minds Foundation and Comcast to support families who may be eligible to participate in the Comcast Internet Essentials program. Additionally, HCPSS will prioritize distribution of a limited number of hot spots to families who cannot obtain access to the internet.
See the directions below for identifying your need for internet access.
Directions on Identifying Need for Internet Access
Parents/guardians can identify student needs in HCPSS Connect using the following directions:
- Parents/guardians should log in to HCPSS Connect.
- From the left menu, last choice, select “More Options” then choose “Student Technology.”
- On the HCPSS Student Technology screen, use the drop down arrows to indicate the Technology Requested for each student. Changes are saved immediately.
- If a device has already been issued, it will appear in the inventory list. If a student already has a device issued, a new request will not be processed.
- Families will receive a confirmation email from the school with necessary information, including pickup location, date and time when devices are available.