Are you motivated by strong graphic design? Do you enjoy designing your own logos, digital posters, brochures, commercials and graphics?
The Graphic Design Academy students who have an interest in digital art the opportunity to combine creative abilities with technical skills using industry standard techniques and software. Students work independently and in teams in areas of problem solving, portfolio developments an artistic promotion. The academy emphasizes publication design, advertising, web design, motion graphics and commercial printing processes.
Applications and Research Laboratory (ARL)
10920 Clarksville Pike
Ellicott City, MD 21042
Students seeking a four-year postsecondary institution are advised to enroll in Art II, Photography, and or Physics.
- Art I
Students have the opportunity to complete PrintED certification.
Students who successfully complete the Graphic Design Academy program sequence, with a grade of B or higher in academy courses, may be eligible for credits at Howard Community College. Students are encouraged to work on submitting and AP Studio Art in 2D Design portfolio for college credit.
Successful Academy Students:
- Maintain a C average in all academy coursework.
- Complete a senior level coursework through a work-site experience (students must provide their own transportation) OR by participating in the on-campus (ARL) course of advanced skills, which includes a capstone project.
- Maintain and submit a journal and portfolio of senior work
Senior Level Coursework Requirements:
- Complete at least 8-10 hours of work-site experience per week OR daily attendance at the Applications and Research Lab.
- Attend weekly senior seminars at the Applications and Research Lab.
- Choose a “real world” problem to research.
- Write and submit a research proposal, abstract, and reflection paper based on research.
Suggested Course Schedule
|Grade Level||Course 1||Course 2||Course 3||Course 4||Course 5||Course 6||Course 7|
|Ninth Grade||English required||Mathematics required||Science required||Social Studies required||Fitness & Health required||Technology Education required||Fine Arts available|
|Tenth Grade||English required||Mathematics required||Science required||Social Studies required||Fine Arts||Elective available||Elective available|
|Eleventh Grade||English required||Mathematics required||Chemistry||Social Studies required||Elective available||Elective available||Graphic Design I - G/T|
|Twelfth Grade||English required||Mathematics required||Science Elective available||Elective available||Advanced Graphic Design - G/T|