The 9th-12th Theatre Arts Program Theatre Arts provides the opportunity for students to establish life-long relationships with theatrical expression. Theatre instruction combines the study of theatre history and dramatic literature with the development of interpretive and emotional skills. The curriculum encompasses appreciation and demonstration of technical theatre craft and critical acumen. Theatre is a collaborative activity involving the participation of artists, technicians, and the presence of an audience.
Theatre Arts Objectives and Artistic Processes
- Idea development: Draws inspiration from multiple sources and identifies themes to explore in generating theatrical works.
- Storytelling: Synthesizes the given elements of the storytelling process to create a purposeful context in a theatre work.
- Collaborative Process: Works with a creative team to overcome obstacles and persevere to achieve a unified vision for a theatrical work.
- Theatrical Design and Practices: Uses best practices and experiences to inform design and technical choices in the production of a theatrical work.
- Performance Skills and Practices: Demonstrates artistic behaviors in the rehearsal and performance process: perseverance of task, creative risk-taking, consistency of choices, and respect for others and their work.
- Reflection: Interpret intention and meaning of a theatrical work and apply criteria to evaluate artistic choices.
Theatre Arts Disciplines
The process of conceiving original work, developing and interpreting established material from a canon of theatrical literature, and rehearsing to achieve an artistic vision.
The relating of artistic ideas and choices through interpretation and presentation.
Interpret, reflect upon, and evaluate theatre artists’ work according to select criteria.
- Physical Technique
- Vocal Technique
- Solo Performance
- Ensemble Performance
- Script Analysis
- Performance Space
- Staging Technique
- Reflection/Artistic Vision
- Critical Writing
- Costume, Set, Prop, Marketing, Lighting, Sound
- Production Team Roles
All course descriptions can be found in the High School Course Catalog
- Theatre Arts I, Theatre Company – (G/T option), Musical Theatre Company – (G/T option), Theatre Apprenticeship – G/T