Enrollment and Registration

How To Enroll Your Child

Note: Students who need ESOL services or parents who need language support should contact the International Student Registration Center at 410-313-1525 (Korean/English) or 410-313-7102 (Spanish/English).

Enrollment Requirements

Students must be registered by their custodial parent (biological, adoptive, legal guardian).

Parents can complete a registration form at their school or fill out one ahead of time to complete the registration process.

Parents must live in the school attendance area of the school in which they plan to enroll their student.

The following documents are required at time of registration:

  • Parent picture ID: original driver’s license, military ID, or passport.
  • Signed original, current lease or deed with your address, valid dates, signatures.
  • Current utility bill with name and address (non-cellular telephone, gas and electric, cable bill).
  • Student’s proof of birth (original birth certificate, baptismal certificate, hospital certificate, passport or military ID).
  • Proof of parental relationship, custody, or guardianship. If applicable, bring legal proof of custody (court order).
  • Student’s current proof of immunizations signed by a doctor, health care provider, day care provider or school official. (See Immunization Requirements below.)
  • Student’s most recent grade report, transcript, report card from last school attended at time of withdrawal, if applicable.
  • Documentation of Special Education (IEP), 504, Psychological Report, or related services.
  • Any additional paperwork that may be necessary due to special living arrangements or circumstances.
  • Document Checklist (PDF) – Print version.

For additional enrollment information:

Immunization Requirements (Mandated By The State Of Maryland)

All children must have the required immunizations in order to attend school. Parents are responsible for providing proof of immunization to the school prior to the student attending or proof of an appointment for necessary immunizations within 20 calendar days. A health care provider, day care provider or school official must sign the certificate. Parent signatures are NOT acceptable. In some cases a computer generated record may be acceptable if all needed information and signature are included.

The MD Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene Immunization Certificate (PDF) should include the dates of all completed vaccines and be signed by the child’s doctor, health care provider, day care provider or school official. (Note: A parent’s signature is not permitted.)

Proof of immunizations may also be signed by a health department official. Free immunizations are available from the Howard County Health Department.

new webpagePlease view their Web Site for details.

New Immunization Requirements for 2013

2013-2014 Vaccine Requirements for Children (PDF)

The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene now requires that all K-12 students have two doses of the MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccine in order to be admitted to school in the fall of 2013. Parents should contact their health care provider to determine if their child requires additional immunizations.

Also, effective school year 2014-15, two doses of varicella (chickenpox) will be required for admission to kindergarten, and a single dose of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) and meningococcal vaccine will be required for all students entering Grade 7.

If you have any questions, please contact the Health Services staff at your child’s school.

Required shots for the 2014-15 school year include:

  • 4 DTP
  • 3 polio
  • 2 measles
  • 2 mumps
  • 2 rubella
  • 3 hepatitis B
  • 2 varicella (chicken pox)

2014-2015 Vaccine Requirements for Children (PDF)

Immunization Exceptions:

  • A medical contraindication (exemptions for specific immunizations) signed by a physician.
  • A lost or destroyed record statement signed by a parent. Proof of measles and rubella immunization by a blood test must be presented. Revaccination may be required. For assistance, contact the Howard County Health Department.
  • A religious exemption statement signed by a parent.
  • A homeless student may be temporarily admitted by the school principal.

Frequently Asked Questions About Enrollment

What school should my child attend?

Your child is required to attend school in the attendance area in which you live. To verify your school’s attendance area, visit the HCPSS School Locator.new webpage For additional questions, view the school planning pages or contact the Public Information Office at 410-313-6682.

How do I contact the school?

For a list of school contact information, click here.

Who should I call for immunization questions?

Contact the health staff at the child’s school or the HCPSS Health Services Office at 410-313-6812.

My child was born in Maryland but I don’t have a copy of his/her birth certificate?

For children in Maryland, a copy of a birth certificate can be obtained from the Howard County Health Department, new webpage 8930 Stanford Blvd., Columbia, MD 21045; 410-313-6300. Note: There is a $35 charge for this service.

Do I need to provide custody documents?

In the case of a divorce or separation, it is important for the school to have a copy of the information pertaining to custody. Students can ONLY be registered by the custodial parent living in Howard County.

What if I am not the child’s parent?

If you are not the child’s parent, you must have court-ordered guardianship to register a student in Howard County Public Schools.

What if we are moving soon? Can I register my child now at the school that serves that area?

If you are buying, building or leasing a home in another attendance area than where you live, contact the office that handles out-of-district requests at 410-313-6997.

What if I don’t have my own legal mailing address? (Special Living Arrangements)

If you don’t have your own legal mailing address or have any “special” living arrangements (living with a relative until your home is built, sharing residence with another family, homeless, etc.), contact the Office of Pupil Personnel at 410-313-6646. Note: Special documentation must be on file.

What if I can’t find my deed?

You can obtain a copy of your deed from the Howard County Circuit Court Clerks’ Land Records Department, 9250 Bendix Road, Columbia, 21045. Call 410-313-5850 or visit www.mdlandrec.net new webpage Note: There is a charge for this service.

What if I haven’t settled on my house?

Contact the office that handles out-of-district requests at 410-313-6997.

What if our house is still being built?

Contact the office that handles out-of-district requests at 410-313-6997.

For any other questions regarding:

  • Residency
  • Multiple family living arrangements
  • Homeless students
  • Custody/guardianship issues

Contact the Office of Pupil Personnel at 410-313-6646 or 410-313-6822.