About Howard County Public School System
Howard County, Maryland is a suburban community of over 285,000 situated midway along the Baltimore-Washington corridor. It is a county of contrasts – a blend of old and new, urban and rural, historical and progressive. The county’s borders encompass Ellicott City, one of the country’s oldest towns, and Columbia, a planned community conceived and designed 40 years ago by The Rouse Company.
Read more about us and our graduating students:
5-Year Strategic Plan
Mission And Goals
"Every student is inspired to learn and empowered to excel."
"We cultivate a vibrant learning community that prepares students to thrive in a dynamic world"
Goal 1: Students
Every student achieves academic excellence in an inspiring, engaging, and supportive environment.
Goal 2: Staff
Every staff member is engaged, supported, and successful.
Goal 3: Families and the Community
Families and the community are engaged and supported as partners in education.
Goal 4: Organization
Schools are supported by world-class organizational practices.
Concepts, values, and principles that guide the organization’s work.
HCPSS believes in…
- Achieving excellence in all we do
- Developing each student’s unique gifts
- Engaging students in relevant, experiential, and personalized learning
- Cultivating creative problem solving, critical thinking, and innovation
- Promoting integrity, civility, and global citizenship
- Enriching learning by honoring our diversity
- Fostering a culture of collaboration, trust, and shared responsibility
- Removing barriers to success
- 41 elementary schools
- 20 middle schools
- 12 high schools
- 3 education centers
Total Enrollment – 52,511*
- Elementary (PreK-5) – 24,842
- Middle (6-8) – 12,276
- High (9-12) – 16,438
- Special School – 99
*Official count does not include PreK
- American Indian/Alaskan – 0.2%
- Asian – 19.3%
- Black/African American – 21.8%
- Hawaiian/Pacific Islander – 0.1%
- Hispanic – 9.4%
- White – 42.7%
- Two or more races – 6.2%
Students Receiving Special Services (2013-14)
- Free/Reduced Lunch – 19.4%
- Limited English Proficient – ≤ 5.0%
- Special Education – 8.5%
Attendance Rate (2013-14)
- Elementary – 96%
- Middle – 96%
- High – 96%
Graduation Rate: 92.9%*
- *4-year adjusted cohort for class of 2014
Per Pupil Expenditure FY 2015
- $81.94 per day/$14,570 per year
Operating Budget for Fiscal Year 2015
- $758.8 million
Our Staff 2014-15
- 4,073 teachers, 70.4% of whom hold a master’s degree or above
- Average years of experience: 12.9
- Total staff: 8,136.2
Ratio of computers to students: 1 : 1.8
Classrooms with Internet access: 100%
Additional information can be found in the 2014-15 Profile of the HCPSS