About Howard County Public School System
Howard County, Maryland is a suburban community of over 285,000 situated midway along the Baltimore-Washington corridor. It is a county of contrasts – a blend of old and new, urban and rural, historical and progressive. The county’s borders encompass Ellicott City, one of the country’s oldest towns, and Columbia, a planned community conceived and designed 40 years ago by The Rouse Company.
Read more about us and our graduating students:
5-Year Strategic Plan
Mission And Goals
"Every student is inspired to learn and empowered to excel."
"We cultivate a vibrant learning community that prepares students to thrive in a dynamic world"
Goal 1: Students
Every student achieves academic excellence in an inspiring, engaging, and supportive environment.
Goal 2: Staff
Every staff member is engaged, supported, and successful.
Goal 3: Families and the Community
Families and the community are engaged and supported as partners in education.
Goal 4: Organization
Schools are supported by world-class organizational practices.
Concepts, values, and principles that guide the organization’s work.
HCPSS believes in…
- Achieving excellence in all we do
- Developing each student’s unique gifts
- Engaging students in relevant, experiential, and personalized learning
- Cultivating creative problem solving, critical thinking, and innovation
- Promoting integrity, civility, and global citizenship
- Enriching learning by honoring our diversity
- Fostering a culture of collaboration, trust, and shared responsibility
- Removing barriers to success
- 41 elementary schools
- 20 middle schools
- 12 high schools
- 3 education centers
Students Receiving Special Services (2012-13)
- Limited English Proficient – ≤ 5.0%
- Free/Reduced Lunch – 18.9%
- Special Education – 8.6%
Total Enrollment – 51,681*
- (PreK-5) – 24,445
- Middle (6-8) – 11,890
- High (9-12) – 16,378
- Special School – 93
*Official count does not included PreK
Attendance Rate (2012-13)
- Elementary – 96%
- Middle – 96%
- High – 95%
- American Indian/Alaskan – 0.2%
- Asian – 18.4%
- Black/African American – 21.6%
- Hawaiian/Pacific Islander – 0.1%
- Hispanic – 9.1%
- White – 44.4%
- Two or more races – 6.3%
Graduation Rate: 93.3%
- 4-year adjusted cohort
Per Pupil Expenditure FY 2014
- $78.38 per day/$14,108 per year
Additional information can be found in the 2013-14 Profile of the HCPSS