About Howard County Public School System
Howard County, Maryland is a suburban community of over 309,000 situated midway along the Baltimore-Washington corridor. It is a county of contrasts — a blend of old and new, urban and rural, historical and progressive. The county’s borders encompass Ellicott City, one of the country’s oldest towns, and Columbia, a planned community conceived and designed nearly 50 years ago by The Rouse Company.
Read more about us and our graduating students:
5-Year Strategic Plan
Mission And Goals
"Every student is inspired to learn and empowered to excel."
"We cultivate a vibrant learning community that prepares students to thrive in a dynamic world"
Goal 1: Students
Every student achieves academic excellence in an inspiring, engaging, and supportive environment.
Goal 2: Staff
Every staff member is engaged, supported, and successful.
Goal 3: Families and the Community
Families and the community are engaged and supported as partners in education.
Goal 4: Organization
Schools are supported by world-class organizational practices.
Concepts, values, and principles that guide the organization’s work.
HCPSS believes in…
- Achieving excellence in all we do
- Developing each student’s unique gifts
- Engaging students in relevant, experiential, and personalized learning
- Cultivating creative problem solving, critical thinking, and innovation
- Promoting integrity, civility, and global citizenship
- Enriching learning by honoring our diversity
- Fostering a culture of collaboration, trust, and shared responsibility
- Removing barriers to success
- 41 elementary schools
- 20 middle schools
- 12 high schools
- 3 education centers
Total Enrollment – 53,637*
- Elementary (PreK-5) – 24,245
- Middle (6-8) – 12,715
- High (9-12) – 16,574
- Special School – 103
*Official count does not include Pre-K
- American Indian/Alaskan – 0.2%
- Asian – 20.3%
- Black/African American – 22.5%
- Hawaiian/Pacific Islander – 0.1%
- Hispanic/Latino – 9.9%
- White – 40.8%
- Two or more races – 6.2%
Students Receiving Special Services (2013-14)
- Free/Reduced Lunch – 20.6%
- Limited English Proficient – ≤ 5.0%
- Special Education – 8.5%
Attendance Rate (2013-14)
- Elementary – 96%
- Middle – 96%
- High – 96%
Graduation Rate FY15: 93.5%*
- *4-year adjusted cohort
Per Pupil Expenditure FY 2015
- $80.56 per day/$14,500 per year
Operating Budget for Fiscal Year 2015
- $776.3 million
Our Staff 2015-16
- 4,134 teachers, 71.1% of whom hold a master’s degree or above
- Average years of experience: 12.9
- Total staff: 8,074
Ratio of computers to students: 1 : 2
Classrooms with Internet access: 100%
Additional information can be found in the 2015-16 Profile of the HCPSS