Getting Ready for Kindergarten
Registration for new 2017-18 Kindergarten students opens in the spring of 2017.
Prior to kindergarten there are many things a parent can do to ready their child. From making sure documentation is submitted to playing, reading and listening to their child, the year before Kindergarten is a great time to begin readying your child for their new school year.
- New to the area? Was your student a Kindergartener in a different district? Fill out enrollment forms and make an appointment with your child’s upcoming school →
Kindergarten teachers are prepared for children to enter school with varying abilities, strengths and needs. Each child is taught at his/her appropriate level through differentiated instruction.
- What does Ready for School Mean?
- Tips for Turning Everyday Activities into Learning Activities – Talk, Listen, Read, Play – Getting Ready for School Begins at Birth
- Road to Kindergarten Booklist – Partnership between the Howard County Library and the HCPSS
- What your child will learn in kindergarten
Contact the Office of Early Childhood Programs, 410-313-5693, with any additional questions.
The Year before Kindergarten
September – November
- Determine kindergarten eligibility.
- Locate the school that serves your neighborhood.
- Become familiar with readiness behaviors.
- Get Tips booklet.
- Complete some of the Tips activities.
- Point out the school to your child.
December – February
- Attend parent conference at your child’s preschool program, if applicable.
- Attend a Road to Kindergarten Workshop (held in January/February)
- Be sure to schedule well-child doctor visit and update immunizations.
March – May
- Gather required documents for registration.
- Determine date and time for your school’s kindergarten registration. This is typically the last week in February or the first week in March. Please call the school in your attendance area to confirm dates and times.
- Register your child for kindergarten.
- Review the Off to Kindergarten guide handed out at registration.
- Visit the school with your child, play on the playground.
- Attend Children’s Discovery Fair at East Columbia Library in April.