Planning the HCPSS School Attendance Areas
Board of Education Work Session V Documents
Board of Education Work Session IV Documents
Board of Education Work Session III Documents
Board of Education Work Session II Documents
Interim Superintendent’s Proposed Recommendations
On October 3, 2017, Interim Superintendent Michael Martirano presented the Board of Education with his proposed recommendations to address overcrowding in HCPSS schools.
- HCPSS Press Release
- Proposed Recommendation Overview
- Board of Education meeting and Attendance Area Adjustment Plan report
- Board Report, October 3, 2017: Presentation of the Attendance Area Adjustment Plan
- Assessment of Superintendent Proposed Recommendation – 10/19/17
- Interactive Maps
- Interim Superintendent’s Proposed Recommendations Interactive Map
- Planning Polygon comparison – Current (existing), Feasibility Study, 8/22 AAC, 9/27 AAC, Superintendent Proposed
- Cooperative Strategies Data Validation Process Document
A full redistricting timeline can be found on the School Boundaries page.
Find your polygon ID for attendance area adjustments (Polygon Enrollment Projections School Year Map).
The Office of School Planning is responsible for projecting student enrollment, planning for infrastructure needs, developing school boundary studies and studying attendance area adjustments, and writing the school system’s annual feasibility study (en español).
To ensure school capacities are balanced based on actual and projected growth in Howard County’s and added school infrastructure, the Office of School Planning facilitates the school boundary adjustment process. The Board of Education approves all changes in Attendance Areas.
School boundary adjustments can be considered by the Board of Education based Policy 6010 . Considerations include the following
- A new school or addition opening in the district
- School attendance area populations are outside the target utilization
- An existing facility is significantly damaged, deemed unusable or otherwise scheduled to close.
- The program capacity of a school building is altered.
- An unforeseen circumstance necessitates an adjustment to promote efficiency or provide for the welfare of students.
Each year, the Board of Education reviews capital planning options and redistricting scenarios through a feasibility study.
Opportunity for Feedback
Attendance Area Committee meetings are held weekly, regional meetings and public hearings will be held. Several surveys have been made available to staff, families and members of the public.
Board of Education Approval Process
The Board of Education reviews recommendations and decides whether to approve the school attendance areas.
Planning Polygon Map
2016-2017 Attendance Area Maps
School and Bus Locator
Renée Kamen, AICP
Office of School Planning
10910 Clarksville Pike (Route 108)
Ellicott City, MD 21042
410-313-7184; 410-313-6890 (F)
The school system considers construction projects carefully as each project goes through a myriad of stages from concept to completion. Parents and community members may follow each of our major construction projects as they move through the stages of the process.