Supporting the Mission and Goals of HCPSS through Leadership
Below is the Board of Education Public Hearing list of speakers for Thursday, October 26, 2017, and Monday, October 30, 2017. On Thursday, October 26, the Board will stop the Public Hearing after speaker #80. Please check the list regularly in case participants drop off, which will affect the list of speakers for each day. In the interest of time, the Board strongly encourages neighborhoods to organize and have only a few speakers.
The mission of the Howard County Board of Education (BOE) is to provide leadership for excellence in teaching and learning by fostering a climate for deliberative change through policy and community engagement.
Participate in a Meeting
Contact the Board
Meeting Schedules and Minutes
- Upcoming regular meetings:
- Thursday, November 2, 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday, November 16, 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday, December 7, 4:00 p.m.
- October – December 2017 Quarterly Agenda
- October 2017 Meeting Schedule
- 2017—2018 Board of Education Approved Meeting Schedule
- 2017 Archived Meeting Minutes
Coffee and Conversation with the Board of Education
- Saturday, January 20, 2018 – 9:30-11:00 a.m. – Thomas Viaduct Middle School (map) Media Center (Inclement Weather Date is January 27, 2018)
- Thursday, March 15, 2018 – 7:30-9:00 p.m. – Jeffers Hill Elementary School (map) Media Center
School Cluster Assignments
- Community Advisory Council (CAC)
- Board of Education Committee Assignments
- Board of Education Audit Committee
- Board of Education Legislative Committee
- Board of Education Policy Committee
- Operating Budget Review Committee
Policies and Procedures
The Board of Education sets local education policy consistent with state and federal laws governing public education.
Friends of Education Award
The Friends of Education Award recognizes an individual, business, or organization for an innovative or unique contribution that directly supports the school system’s mission of excellence in teaching and learning
Current Board of Education Members
Cynthia L. Vaillancourt, Chairman
Bess Altwerger, Ed.D., Vice Chairman
Student Board Member