Policies and Procedures
The Board of Education sets local education policy consistent with state and federal laws governing public education. At the direction of the Board, the Superintendent and the school system administrative staff develop policies and administrative procedures to support policy decisions. Development and revision of policies follow Policy 2020 Policy Development and Adoption.
The policies are assigned by category series as follows:
- 1000 Series: Foundations And Basic Commitments
- 2000 Series: School Board Governance and Operations
- 3000 Series: General School Administration
- 4000 Series: Fiscal Management
- 5000 Series: Support Services
- 6000 Series: Facilities Planning And Development
- 7000 Series: Human Resources
- 8000 Series: Instruction
- 9000 Series: Students
- 10000 Series: School and Community Involvement
Policies Under Consideration
- Policy 1000 – Civility
- Policy 1010 – Discrimination
- Policy 1020 – Sexual Discrimination
- Policy 1070 – Immigrant Students (working title) (new)
- Policy 2070 – Ethics
- Policy 3000 – Religious Observances
- Policy 3060 – Data Privacy (new)
- Policy 4050 – Procurement of Goods and/or Services
- Policy 8010 – Grading and Reporting: Pre-Kindergarten Through Grade 8
- Policy 8020 – Grading and Reporting: High School (2 year review)
- Policy 9080 – Interscholastic Athletic Program
- Policy 9200 – Student Discipline
Policies Revised But Not Yet Implemented
These policies and procedures are effective July 1, 2018 unless otherwise noted.
- The Howard County Board of Education adopted revisions to the policy and implementation procedures on January 11, 2018. The revisions require that all instructional materials including supplemental be approved using HCPSS established procedures and selection criteria and each curricular area to have a selection committee. The revised implementation procedures specify the membership of the Curriculum Area Selection Committees and the Instructional Materials Criteria Review Committee (CRC) and how they are selected. Revisions also include guidelines for teacher-selected instructional materials.
- The Howard County Board of Education adopted revisions to the policy and implementation procedures on March 8, 2018. The revisions clarify HCPSS enrollment eligibility for students currently expelled or on an extended suspension from another school system, international exchange students, and programmatic initiative participants. The revisions also establish a directed open school designation standard. The revised implementation procedures updates student early admission requirements, JROTC procedures, and student reassignment initiated by parents processes.
During the development or revision period, comments and suggestions for changes to the policies under review can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and will be shared with the applicable committee chairs prior to the presentation of the proposed policy report to the Board of Education.
After presentation of the proposed policy to the Board of Education, the public are invited to submit written testimony at least 48 hours prior to the meeting at which the Board is scheduled to take action by email to email@example.com or by letter to the Board of Education Office. The public may also testify in person at the public hearing. Equal consideration is given to written and oral testimony.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.