The objective of the HCPSS education-based interscholastic athletics program is to provide opportunities for students to participate in a variety of sports throughout the school year. The program strives to:
- Improve academic performance.
- Provide opportunities for students to extend physical education interests.
- Foster better interpersonal relationships through sports participation.
- Encourage student enthusiasm for interschool contests.
- Channel student enthusiasm for interschool contests.
- Channel student energies toward developing useful citizenship skills.
- Enhance school spirit and the learning environment.
2012 NIAAA Quality Program Award
The HCPSS and its 12 high school athletic programs have been identified as a 2012 recipient of the National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association (NIAAA) Quality Program Award at the Exemplary Level. This award recognizes and commends HCPSS and its 12 high school athletic programs for its excellence in the implementation and administration of outstanding high school athletic programs.
To be recognized as a Quality Program Award Exemplary High School Athletic Program, athletic directors must present evidence of existing policies, practices, procdures and program achievements that meet suggested criteria within 10 Quality Program Assessment categories. The NIAAA embraces local school innovation and vision that makes use of suggested best practices in high school athletic programs. More info....
The sports listed to the right are offered at all Howard County public high schools.
Sports Participation In Numbers
- 10,489 student participants during the 2011-12 school year.
- 444 junior varsity and varsity teams.
- Over 800 coaches.
- 6,000 athletic events annually.
Students Video About Parental Support At The Games
- Video - I Wish My Parents...
Participation in the Allied Sports Program is open to all HCPSS high school students with disabilities. It is also open to high school students without disabilities who have never been a member of any junior varsity or varsity interscholastic athletic team, excluding any Allied Sports team.
Home > Athletics