What Your Child Will Learn – Maryland’s College and Career-Ready Standards
Following the adoption of the Common Core Standards, the Maryland Department of Education launched a broad-based, year-long process to analyze the new standards and compare the alignment of the PK–12 State Curriculum to the Common Core State Standards. As a result, the Maryland Department of Education developed the Maryland Common Core Curriculum Frameworks.
These Frameworks in English/language arts and mathematics define the essential skills and knowledge that students need to know and be able to do in order to achieve the academic goals of the Common Core State Standards. The Frameworks are the foundation of Maryland’s curriculum and have guided the development of curriculum resources. Maryland’s College and Career Ready Standards are based on the Common Core State Standards.
- Are evidence-based.
- Are aligned with college and work expectations.
- Are clear, understandable, and consistent.
- Include rigorous content and application of knowledge through high-order skills.
- Build upon strengths and lessons of current state standards.
- Are informed by other top performing countries, so that all students are prepared to succeed in our global economy and society.