Academic Access and Achievement
The Academic Access and Achievement Program supports various school-based acceleration and enrichment programs offered during the school day, after school hours, and beyond the school year.
Zeleana Morris, Coordinator, Academic Access and Achievement Programs
The goal of Academic Access and Achievement is to provide students with support to achieve the high academic standards of the Howard County Public School System. Academic Access and Achievement is composed of several programs.
Black Student Achievement Program (BSAP)
The Black Student Achievement Program (BSAP) seeks to close achievement gaps for African American students and ensure students are college and career ready at the time of graduation. BSAP in-school staffs assist elementary and secondary students with meeting identified educational, career, and personal/social competencies.
BSAP Achievement Specialist, Patricia Branner-Pierce, 410-313-6771
BSAP Achievement Specialist, Sheree Whitby, 410-313-6804
Bridges Over Howard County
Bridges is a 21st Century Community Learning Center program that offers after-school programs to elementary, middle, and high schools in Howard County. Its purpose is to create community learning centers that provide students with academic enrichment opportunities as well as additional services designed to complement their regular academic program. Community learning centers also offer families literacy and related educational learning opportunities.
- Bryant Woods, Running Brook, Cradlerock, Swansfield, Guilford, Phelps Luck, Stevens Forest, Talbott Springs, Laurel Woods, and Deep Run Elementary
- Oakland Mills, Lake Elkhorn, Harper’s Choice, Murray Hill, and Wilde Lake Middle
- Reservoir High School
Contact: Marty Cifrese, Bridges Program Manager
Hispanic Achievement Program
The Hispanic Achievement Program works collaboratively with central programs and schools to achieve the school system’s goals for Hispanic students, and ensure they are college and career ready at the time of graduation. The program provides professional development for staff, facilitates the engagement of Hispanic families, develops leadership skills among Hispanic youth, and partners with community agencies.
Contact: Elisa Montalvo, Hispanic Achievement Specialist, 410-313-6667
Hispanic Achievement Liaisons
The Hispanic Achievement Liaisons are assigned to one or more specific schools. Under the guidance of the Hispanic Achievement Specialist, they collaborate with students, staff, families, and community members to accelerate the academic achievement of all Hispanic students.
- Support Hispanic students and their families in the Howard County Public School System
- Collaborate with school staff to meet Goals 1-3 of the HCPSS Vision 2018: Fulfilling the Promise of Preparation as it pertains to Hispanic students and their families
- Serve as a communication link between school staff and Hispanic students, and their families
- Monitor the progress of all Hispanic students, in collaboration with school staff, to ensure their placement in appropriate programs, in order to accelerate their academic achievement
- Monitor the behavioral data of all Hispanic students, in collaboration with school staff, in order to increase positive learning behaviors and ensure student achievement
- Educate the school community towards a deeper understanding of Hispanic students and their families
- Facilitate the involvement of Hispanic families in the educational process
- Collaborate with non-profits and government agencies to support Hispanic students and their families
- Interpret and do short translations as needed
- Conduct Parent Information Meetings in collaboration with Special Education and Student Services and curricular programs such as the beyond school day and year programs, Title I program, and GT program.
Bollman Bridge ES – Tatiana Pham
Cradlerock ES – Naomi Johnson
Deep Run ES – Evelyn Chaverini
Laurel Woods ES – Belén Bhatti
Longfellow ES – Rosa María Gamble
Phelps Luck ES – Ana García-Hedges
Stevens Forest ES – María Keefe
Swansfield ES – Rosa María Gamble
Talbott Springs ES – Sandra Cusick
Bonnie Branch MS – Waleska Oliveri
Harper’s Choice MS – Ana Solis
Lake Elkhorn MS – Naomi Johnson
Mayfield Woods MS – Joanne Jaeger
Murray Hill MS – Citlali Bacmeister
Oakland Mills MS – Teresa Norman
Patuxent Valley MS – Danializ Arbelo
Thomas Viaduct MS – Fabiola Rodríguez
Hammond HS – Carla Sánchez
Long Reach HS – Melissa Reyes-Leiva
Oakland Mills HS – Maribel Alonso
Reservoir HS – Vanessa Morales
Wilde Lake HS – Marilyn Barker
Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement Program (MESA)
MESA is a structured, multi-year, pre-college program that prepares students for academic and professional careers in mathematics, engineering, science, and technology.
- Increase the number of engineers, scientists, mathematicians, and related professionals in fields where minorities and women are traditionally underrepresented, and
- Encourage and assist minorities and females to achieve academic and professional success in these fields.
MESA’s academic enrichment model includes the following.
- Math and science enrichment classes and meetings
- Tutoring and mentoring
- Academic planning and career counseling
- Field experiences
- Computer and technology instruction
- Guest speakers
- SAT preparation programs
- Collaborative learning groups
- Parent involvement
- Incentive awards
- Science/engineering fairs
Contact: Diane Martin, Director, Community Outreach and Engagement
The staff of the Office of Academic Access and Achievement collaborates closely with various community groups and organizations that support Vision 2018. View a listing of select community partners.
Acceleration Pathways and Supports
- Academic Intervention Programs (Middle and High)
- Reading and Math Mentors (Elementary)
- BSAP Community Based Learning Centers
- Mathematics, Engineering, and Science Achievement Program (MESA)
- Bridges Over Howard County
Saturday Mathematics Academy
- Academic Intervention Programs (Elementary and Middle)
- BSAP Programs (Elementary and Secondary)
- GT Summer Institutes (Elementary and Middle)
- Comprehensive Summer School (all levels)
- Bridges Over Howard County