The Music Education Program of the HPCSS prepares all students to meet the requirements of state and national music education standards in four broad areas:
- Imagine – generate musical ideas for various purposes and contexts.
- Plan and Make – select and develop musical ideas for defined purposes and contexts.
- Evaluate and Refine selected musical ideas to create musical work that meets appropriate criteria.
- Present creative musical work that conveys intent, demonstrates craftsmanship, and exhibits originality.
- Select varied musical works to present based on interest, knowledge, technical skill and context. Analyze the structure and context of varied musical works and their implications for performance.
- Interpret – develop personal interpretations that consider creators’ intent.
- Rehearse, evaluate and refine personal and ensemble performances, individually or in collaboration with others.
- Perform expressively with appropriate interpretation and technical accuracy, and in a manner appropriate to the audience and context.
- Select music appropriate for a specific purpose or context.
- Analyze how the structure and context of varied musical works inform the response.
- Support interpretations of musical works that reflect creators’/ performers’ expressive intent. Support evaluations of musical works and performances based on analysis, interpretation, and established criteria.
Music instruction is incorporated into the HCPSS curriculum at all school levels in the form of both courses and extracurricular opportunities.
Advanced Ensemble Opportunities
HCPSS has 15 Gifted & Talented and Honors ensembles throughout the district at the elementary, middle and high school levels
Family and Community Resources
These resources have been created to provide parents with support in Music Education instruction.