Other Prekindergarten Options
If your family does not meet the eligibility criteria to qualify for the HCPSS Pre-K program, there are other community-based options available.
Regional Early Childhood Centers (RECCs)
The Howard County Public School System includes Regional Early Childhood Centers (RECCs) within nearly half of our local elementary schools. Our RECCs offer high quality early childhood programs that focus on developing kindergarten readiness skills for all children in classrooms that include children with and without disabilities.
Learning Together Program
The Learning Together Program (LTP) enables all young children to play with each other, develop long-term friendships, and benefit from a diverse and stimulating environment. A limited number of openings are available for children without disabilities. Children are selected based upon screening information. Participation in the Learning Together Program requires a monthly fee and families are required to provide their own transportation daily.
Parents of children who will be 3 by September 1st or are already 4 may learn more about the program by reviewing the Learning Together Program Flyer (English). Applications will be accepted starting February 11, 2021 and priority will be given to applications received by April 1st.
- Learning Together Program Flyer (Chinese)
- Learning Together Program Flyer (Korean)
- Learning Together Program Flyer (Spanish)
If you need assistance to complete the application, please contact Early Intervention Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 410-313-7017.
Approved Referral and Assistance Services
- Maryland Family Network’s LOCATE: Child Care is a free, referral service with detailed information on all regulated child care in Maryland. Trained referral specialists help families identify child care based on personal preferences including program type, location, and cost. Visit their website or call 1-877-261-0060.
- LOCATE: Child Care Special Needs Service is a free service available to any family with a child (birth-21yrs) with a special need. Call 800.999.0120 or email email@example.com. Service is available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Messages can be left during non-business hours and LOCATE staff will return the call as soon as possible. For more details, visit their website.
- The Child Care Subsidy (CCS) Program provides financial assistance with child care costs to eligible working families in Maryland. Apply for your child’s first scholarship today! 1-866-243-8796. Visit their website for more information.
- The Howard County CARE (Child and Adolescent Resources and Education) Center’s CARE Line is a free information and referral service for people who have questions about children in Howard County. CARE Center staff work with families to identify their needs and help find solutions. For assistance, call 410-313-CARE (410-313-2273) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Community Action Council’s Head Start program provides preschool to eligible 3 to 5 year old children. For more information, contact Head Start at 410-313-6443 or visit their website.
- Please call 410-313-5693 to speak with an Office of Early Childhood Programs staff member for questions regarding community programs and support for parents and children birth through age five.