skip to main content

Food Services – Frequently Asked Questions

Food Allergies and Dietary Needs

My child has a milk allergy. How do I arrange for a substitute?

Please provide a doctor’s note to the nurse at his/her school. This will allow the manager to provide a beverage substitute (juice) with a meal. Check Nutrislice for any food items that contain milk.

My child is diabetic. What can be done to help keep the diabetes under control when he/she eats at school?

Nutrient information, including carbohydrate contents of menu items, is available in Nutrislice. Health assistants at each school also have a list of carbohydrates and can assist students with the calculation. This information has proven to be helpful to parents, children and school nurses regarding diabetic control issues.

My child has special dietary needs. How does the Howard County Public School System provide for them?

Additional and/or more specific information is available by contacting Ekere Olojola, Dietician, 410-313-7012 or

Food Choices and Nutritional Information

Our family is vegetarian. Are vegetarian lunches available?

Meatless choices are available every day. Choices include toasted cheese sandwiches, cheese pizza, macaroni and cheese, and vegetable lasagna with tomato sauce. Families following strict vegan regimes may need to provide lunch from home.

Where can I find nutritional information about menu items served in the school cafeterias?

Nutrient information (including calories, fat, sodium, etc.) is available in Nutrislice. Generally, the information is stable for the school year, but updates are made if new products are introduced, recipes are modified, or manufacturer’s information changes, so it is a good idea to check for updates periodically. HCPSS strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information, however, due to factors mentioned above, guarantees are not possible. Information is provided as a guide to help students and parents make the best selections possible for their individual situations.