skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions about Enrollment


What school should my child attend?

Your child is required to attend school in the attendance area in which you live. To verify your school’s attendance area, visit the HCPSS School Locator. For additional questions, view the school planning pages or contact the Public Information Office at 410-313-6682.

My child was born in Maryland but I don’t have a copy of his/her birth certificate?

For children in Maryland, a copy of a birth certificate can be obtained from the Howard County Health Department, new webpage 8930 Stanford Blvd., Columbia, MD 21045; 410-313-6300. Note: There is a $35 charge for this service.

Do I need to provide custody documents?

In the case of a divorce or separation, it is important for the school to have a copy of the information pertaining to custody. Students can ONLY be registered by the custodial parent living in Howard County.

What if I am not the child’s parent?

If you are not the child’s parent, you must have court-ordered guardianship to register a student in Howard County Public Schools.

What if we are moving soon? Can I register my child now at the school that serves that area?

If you are buying, building or leasing a home in another attendance area than where you live, contact the office that handles out-of-district requests at 410-313-6997.

What if I can’t find my deed?

You can obtain a copy of your deed from the Howard County Circuit Court Clerks’ Land Records Department, 9250 Bendix Road, Columbia, 21045. Call 410-313-5850 or visit new webpage Note: There is a charge for this service.

What if I haven’t settled on my house?

Contact the office that handles out-of-district requests at 410-313-6997.

What if our house is still being built?

Contact the office that handles out-of-district requests at 410-313-6997.

What happens once the bus gets to the school?

Once the bus gets to school, the students disembark from the bus and enter the school.

For any other questions regarding:

  • Residency
  • Multiple family living arrangements
  • Homeless students
  • Custody/guardianship issues

Contact the Office of Pupil Personnel at 410-313-6646 or 410-313-6822.

Transition From Pre-K To Kindergarten

Do I need to re-register my child?

You do not need to re-register your child for kindergarten if he/she is already enrolled as an HCPSS student in any HCPSS preschool or Pre-K program.

What if my child is transferring schools?

If your child is transferring to a new school, his/her records including: registration, immunization, health, and report card information, will be sent automatically at the end of this school year. A letter, along with other kindergarten-preparation materials, will be provided to Pre-K parents explaining the above process.

Are there any information events prior to starting kindergarten?

Elementary schools hold events in the spring or summer for incoming kindergarteners. Please contact your child’s school for more information.

Is there a way to request that my child not enter Kindergarten?

Yes. Parents can request a one-year waiver to defer entry to kindergarten.

Additional Questions?

Contact the Office of Early Childhood Programs, 410-313-5693