Resources: Tips, Guidelines, and Where to Get Help
When you have concerns about your child’s safety and require immediate support, the following resources are available for you and your child.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Main number – 1-800-273-8255
- The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your family, and best practices for professionals.
Grassroots Crisis Intervention Center
24 Hour Crisis Hotline – 410-531-6677
- Individuals may call for a variety of reasons including suicide, family and relationship problems, shelter needs, violent or threatening domestic situations, loneliness or depression, and chemical dependency issues, among others.
Mobile Crisis Team – 410-531-6677
- This two-member team of master’s level mental health professionals who respond with the police to psychiatric emergencies, family crises, and other traumatic events in the community. Operates from 9am to 11pm daily.
- Anyone in need of immediate assistance may walk in to the agency at any time to see a counselor. An appointment is not needed to receive services. There is no fee for the service. Find out more about their services →
MD Youth Crisis Hotline
Main number – 1-800-422-0009
- Individuals may call this hotline for a variety of reasons including suicide, family and relationship problems, violent or threatening domestic situations, loneliness or depression, and chemical dependency issues, among others.
Crisis Text Line
Text to 741741
- Anyone may text this number for immediate access to a counselor. All text messages are anonymous. Text messages are free for AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon customers. Charges may apply with other carriers.
Tips and Guidelines
- Children’s Mental Health Matters
- American Psychological Association Resilience Guide for Parents and Teachers
Additional Mental Health Resources
- HCPSS School Psychologists
- HCPSS School-based Counseling Services
- The CARE Line for Howard County Families
- Family Coalition for Families and Children’s Mental Health
- HC Drug Free
- Howard County Health Department
- Maryland’s Network of Care
- Mental Health Authority Directory of Mental Health Services in Howard County
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) – Main Site
- NAMI – Howard County
- NIDA for Teens