Wilde Lake Middle School Construction Project
This is a finished construction project.
Wilde Lake Middle School opened in 1969 with an open classroom design for Grades 6 – 8. The school is a single story building with masonry exterior wall construction. The school has had one building addition and one major renovation in 1975 and 1996 respectively.
Wilde Lake Middle School specifically serves the Town Center of Columbia so it is important that the school prepare to meet the demands of the higher student population as Columbia continues to grow. Due to the predicted increase in student population, the need to reallocate program spaces inside of the school, and various systemic needs of the building, we have investigated three options for the project including a limited renovation and addition, a major renovation and addition, and a replacement school.
Based on lower life cycle costs, improvements to the building and site, and a potentially lower local funding contribution, a replacement school is recommended. The replacement school would be built on Wilde Lake Middle School property and would be one of only three net zero energy schools in the state of Maryland.
Concept Development Stage: Feasibility Study
- The feasibility study describes various scenarios to address the systemic and programmatic needs at Wilde Lake Middle School. This study was presented to the Board at the November 21, 2013 meeting. The Board voted to approve the recommendation to proceed with planning for a replacement school, pending approval of the Interagency Committee on School Construction
- Feasibility Study presented to the BOE
- Supporting PowerPoint Presentation
Planning Advisory Committee (PAC) Stage
- The PAC completed its task and selected a schematic design for Board approval.
Schematic Design Stage
- The Board approved the Schematic Design submission at the April 10, 2014 meeting – Proposed Schematic Design
- Supporting PowerPoint presentation – Design Report
Design Development Stage
- The Board approved the Design Development submission at the August 14, 2014 meeting – Design Development Submission
- Supporting PowerPoint Presentation – Design Development Report
Construction Document Stage
- The Board approved the Construction Document submission at the December 15, 2014 meeting – Construction Document Report
- Supporting PowerPoint Presentation – Construction Document Presentation