Students in second grade use the skills and processes of science to Observe and describe the varying locations and physical appearance of the Moon throughout a month; compare local land features; describe local soil characteristics and identify causes, effects, and preventions of soil erosion; describe and compare physical interactions of matter; compare the characteristics and basic needs of a butterfly throughout its life cycle.
For detailed information on Grade 2 curriculum objectives and goals, click here .
Following are documents that summarize vocabulary and key ideas broken down by unit and lessons.
Parent Science Resources Links
Student Friendly Interactive Web Sites
Following is a list of websites to visit that supports our second grade level science curriculum.
- The Open Door Web Site - What is Soil Made of? - Shows a diagram of the layers of soil.
- The Open Door Web Site - Life in the Soil - Interesting facts about life in the soil.
- Monarch Butterfly - Tracks the migration journey of the monarch butterfly.
- The Franklin Institute - Living Things - Animal classification, habitats, life cycles and anatomy.
- UK Entomology, Entomology for Kids and Teachers - Katerpillars - Mystery bugs, bug activities and even recipes!
- Star Child - The solar system, the universe, space stuff and the glossary.
- NASA Kids' Club - Fun activities, a teacher's corner and lots of cool information.
- Hubble Space Telescope Photos - View photos.
- Yahooligans - Sound, light, color and rainbows, kaleidoscopes, lasers and mirrors.