Grade 2 Elementary Science
Students in second grade use the skills and processes of science to Observe and describe the varying locations and physical appearance of the Moon throughout a month; compare local land features; describe local soil characteristics and identify causes, effects, and preventions of soil erosion; describe and compare physical interactions of matter; compare the characteristics and basic needs of a butterfly throughout its life cycle.
For detailed information on Grade 2 curriculum objectives and goals, click here .
Following are documents that summarize vocabulary and key ideas broken down by unit and lessons.
- Earth Science – Soil and Erosion
- Space Science – Earth’s Moon
- Physical Science – Interactions
- Life Science – Butterflies
Parent Science Resources Links
- Entomology – elementary site through the University of Kentucky.
- Enchanted Learning Plants – Plant information, printouts and diagrams.
Student Friendly Interactive Web Sites
Following is a list of websites to visit that supports our second grade level science curriculum.
- The Open Door Web Site – What is Soil Made of? – Shows a diagram of the layers of soil.
- The Open Door Web Site – Life in the Soil – Interesting facts about life in the soil.
- Monarch Butterfly – Tracks the migration journey of the monarch butterfly.
- The Franklin Institute – Living Things – Animal classification, habitats, life cycles and anatomy.
- UK Entomology, Entomology for Kids and Teachers – Katerpillars – Mystery bugs, bug activities and even recipes!
- Star Child – The solar system, the universe, space stuff and the glossary.
- NASA Kids’ Club – Fun activities, a teacher’s corner and lots of cool information.
- Hubble Space Telescope Photos – View photos.
- Yahooligans – Sound, light, color and rainbows, kaleidoscopes, lasers and mirrors.